ORCA, BYU’s Office of Research and Creative Activities, offers $1,500 grants to help undergraduate students work with faculty in a one-on-one setting to conduct research, field studies, or create unique projects in their discipline. These grants are used to reimburse both students and faculty for time, supplies, and/or other expenses involved with conducting an academic project.
Whether students choose to design their own project or work on a professor’s ongoing research, they must work with a mentor. Students may receive ORCA grants for work they are already doing as a research or teaching assistant.
See the following link for details on applications and procedures.
Deadlines for the 2014-2015 academic year:
- Sept 2 — Application period begins
- Sept 24 — ORCA Writing Workshop
- Oct 30 — ORCA grant proposal deadline
- Nov 6 — ORCA Mentor endorsement deadline
- Feb 5 — ORCA recipients announced
- Feb 25 — ORCA checks available
- Aug 31 — Final reports deadline (Apr, June, Aug 2015 graduates)
- Dec 31 — Final reports deadline (everyone)